The principal function of this position is for the safe setup, operation and maintenance of our drilling rigs and equipment. You will generally be expected to carry out drilling and installation of deepwells, piezometers, ejector wells and wellpoints in accordance with specifications given by your supervisor.
Reports/Responsible to: Drilling Operations Manager (Line Manager)
Package: WJ Groundwater offers an extensive training and development program which will commence after individuals complete their probationary period. Company Induction, Initial basic training & PPE issue will be provided from commencement of your employment.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
Individuals will be carrying out tasks such as:
- Repsonisble for the correct supervision and safety of your assistant driller and co-workers
- Ensure that records required by your supervisor are maintained and submitted when required. All specific site instructions given by WJ or WJ Client are to be complied with at all times.
- Liaise with our client’s site agents, foremen, supervisors, engineers etc. with regards to daily scheudles of work, access arrangements and services required.
- Preparing land drilling equipment for use on site e.g. loading carefully and neatly onto van or lorry
- Unload and stack or store equipment carefully and appropriately on site
- Set-up and prepare diesel and electric pumping plant, check and replenish oil and fuel, lay and connect water hoses, assist in setting up and filling of tanks
- Ensure maintenance procedures are carried out to all drilling equipment according to manufactuer’s recommendations
- Prior to drilling commencing have understanding of the objective and rate of progress. Carry out hand excavations with shovel, manually lay out heavy duty drilling equipment, sand, cement etc
- On completion of work, tidy all equipment, wash down, apply grease, lubircants etc
- At yard or depot assist with the careful storage of equipment, carry out reparis, wash vehicles and rigs and other domestic duties
- Keep daily records of site works and records for yard operations such as delivery notes
- To be responsible for own health and safety and that of colleagues, in accordance with current construction guidance and relevant national legislation.
This list is not exhaustive and you may be required to undertake various other duties and/or hours of work as may be reasonably be required of you at your initial place of work or at any of the company’s establishments or sites. The board of WJ Groundwater Limited is committed to the implementation and certification of an Integrated Management System to ISO9001, ISO14001 and OHSAS18001.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Valid CPCS card with a relevant NVQ Level 2 in land drilling
- Minimum 5 years’ experience within the construction industry at a lead driller level or a minimum 2 years acting as an Assistant Driller and has passed their NVQ Level 1 in land drilling and demonstrated sufficient skills and knowledge.
- A motivated and hardworking individual with a ‘get stuck in’ attitude is essential for this position
- Have a mature attitude. This is essential when working with heavy duty construction plant and potentially dangerous equipment. At all times comply with stringent health and safety procedures.
- The position requires the candidate to hold a full valid UK driving license and confirmation of rig to work in the EU
Working Conditions & Physical Requirements:
Working with WJ UK colleagues and our customers for the installation of construction dewatering and water management control systems in both outdoor & indoor environments (often within tunnels, adits and shafts, which frequently low to medium risk confined spaces). You may be asked to work overtime at evenings and weekends depending on the customer requirements and nature of the work being carried out. Although this is not regular it can often be at short notice by our customers. Flexibility to travel throughout the UK for extended periods at short notice. Due to the geographic nature of construction sites, candidates must be prepared to work away from home for more than 1 week at a time.
For more details contact: Jyoti Vyas at JyotiVyas@wjgl.com