Join a leading engineering organisation
The principal function of this position is to carry out the installation and certification of 3-phase 415v electrical controls for dewatering systems comprising multiple electric pumps, mains distribution, temporary casing and auto-mains failure systems.
Contracts Manager (Line Manager)
£19.50 to £21.50 per hour depending on experience. WJ offers overtime on a project need basis.
40 hour week
WJ Groundwater offers an extensive training and development program which will commence after individuals complete their probationary period. Company Induction, Initial basic training & PPE issue will be provided from commencement of your employment.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
Installation of site (working within a team, or by yourself, individuals will be carrying out tasks such as):
- Install power distribution cables (typically 2.5mm to 10mm 4 core SWA)
- Connect isolators & 16amp plug/socket connections
- Install pumps in wells, sumps or pump stations
- Installation & connection of groundwater instruments and flow monitoring devices (volt free, low volt, 110v and 240v)
- Ensure installation, protection and signage of equipment to appropriate standards
- Connection of control cabins (typically 150-500 amp) to mains, diesel generator and earthing as required
- Maintain a clean and tidy work site
- Preparing and issuing 18th Edition Certificates for Construction Dewatering and Water Management Control Systems
Preparation of Equipment prior to delivery to site:
- Prepare, test & certify pump control panels, switchgear enclosures, isolators and distribution equipment
- Prepare, test & certify electric pumps (typically 1-37kW)
- Connect pump cables using heat shrink or resin joints
During Running Phase (working mostly on your own):
- Carry out routine inspection and follow maintenance schedules of construction dewatering and water management control installations on different sites or locations
- Production of electrical condition reports if Inspection and Testing qualification is required, this will be addressed post probation period
- Carry out monitoring and report water levels and pump operation, training will be given as required
- Liaise with our customers supervisors/managers on corrective actions required
- Respond to alarm callouts, carry out fault finding and respond appropriately
On Completion of Site Works:
- Assist in dismantling and disconnection of installations and ensure equipment is suitably loaded and transported off site
- Cleaning, testing and recording plant return to stores and ensure appropriate storage
To be responsible for own health and safety and that of colleagues, in accordance with current construction guidance and relevant national legislation.
This list is not exhaustive and you may be required to undertake various other duties and/or hours of work as may reasonably be required of you at your initial place of work or at any of the company’s establishments or sites.
Qualifications and Experience:
A motivated and hardworking individual with a ‘get stuck in’ attitude is essential for this position. The position requires a demonstrable and proven track record working for a contractor in the construction industry and has sufficient skills, training and knowledge such as:
- Must be time served with Electrical NVQ/C&G to Level 3
- Must have C&G 2382-15 (Electrical 18th Edition)
- C&G 2391 or 2394, 2395 (Electrical Inspection and Testing) and have experience of testing is desirable
- Must have a CSCS card
- PAT testing qualification desirable (but not essential)
- Ideally JIB qualified (but not essential)
- A valid CSCS ECS Electrician Card is required
- Previous experience with 3-phase motors and controls is desirable
- Previous experience of working on a major civil engineering or construction project would be desirable
- Excellent verbal and interpersonal skills and written communication skills
- Resourcefulness, initiative and the ability to work unsupervised in often difficult site conditions
- Ability to use a laptop/tablet for electrical certification software, email, word and MS excel
- SSSTS is an advantage but not essential
- Full UK Driving License
Working Conditions & Physical Requirements:
The role is predominately based on work sites nationwide though being based around Greater London (where a significant proportion of our work is undertaken) or Nottinghamshire (where WJ’s Bilsthorpe yard facility is located).
Your job role will be split approximately 90% site based / 10% yard based (to collect electrical supplies, help prepare some of the electrical equipment for larger projects and liaise with the Senior Electrician when required).
Working with WJ colleagues and our clients for the installation of dewatering systems in both outdoor and indoor environments (often within tunnels, adits, and shafts which frequently including low to medium risk confined spaces)
For more details contact: Jyoti Vyas at JyotiVyas@wjgl.com
Deadline for applications : 25th March 2022